The River Habitat Survey (RHS) Toolbox software was developed to enable RHS surveyors to prepare for RHS surveys, input and analyse data. The RHS Toolbox will quality control data, identify potential errors, calculate indices and perform contextual analysis using the RHS baseline survey sites. Using this interface, you will be able to print RHS forms and perform additional analyses.
The RHS Toolbox content will develop over time and will provide full access to additional indices, 25000 sites on the RHS database, sharing of data between users, ToolHab functionality, in-built GIS and much more. The RHS Toolbox has been applied to a series of commercial and noncomercial applications such as Water Framework Directive Assessment, planning application, habitat assessment etc (link to application page)
The RHS toolbox enables to:
- Input RHS and additional map data
- Run quality controls of the form including logical checks
- Display RHS sites on online current and first edition OS maps
- Calculate Jeffers PCA scores (Jeffers, 1998)
- Calculate Habitat Modification and Quality indices (HQA and HMS) including sub-scores
- Calculate four hydromorphological indices
- Perform Context Analysis and assess the site HQA score within the context of similar sites in the UK.
- Calculate River Habitat Quality index for the site based on HQA and HMS (Environment Agency, 2003)
- View and print RHS forms
The RHS Toolbox development requires investment in time and resources so it is unfortunately not possible to deliver it free of charge. Please find below the licence cost which have been kept low for students, academia and charities/not for profit and multiple licenses.
- For consultancy: £90 for the first license and £45 per additional licenses
- For charities and non-profit organisations: £60 for the first license and £30 per additional licenses
- For students: £20 per license
Please get in touch with us (email@example.com) if you wish to purchase a site license for multiple users.
Click any of the links below to purchase a license and do not forget to send us your registration file generated by the software (see instructions to download the software at the end of the page).
Instructions to download and install the RHS Toolbox:
1- Download the RHS2017.zip file:
2- Create a RHS folder somewhere on your computer (e.g. C drive) and extract the content of RHS2017.zip into that folder.
3- If you do not have Access 2010 or later already installed on your PC, you can download and install the free Access 2010 runtime here
4- Double-click the file RHSDataInput.accdr.
You have access to a trial version for 30 days after which you will have to register and purchase a license. During the trial period, every time you log in, you will be asked whether you wish to purchase a license and register.
At the moment the help file is not populated but you will find help in the side window in the main interface.